It is the Owner’s sole responsibility to install and use Zonar products in a manner that will not cause accidents, personal injury or property damage. For the purposes of this notice, “Owner”, “you” and “your” means the party (including any person authorized by that party to use and/or install the Product) that has either: (a) purchased the Product; or (b) leased the
Product from Zonar Systems, Inc or its related companies. The Owner of this product is solely responsible for observing safe driving practices. The choice, location, and installation of all components of the Product is critical. If installation is not correct, the Product may not perform as its design or specifications indicate. If in doubt, consult with your vehicle’s manufacturer.
Installation & Check-Out List
|1||Inventory all Connect items.|||
|2||Ensure GPS unit is connected to a minimum 1.5 Amp circuit (only required for Connect operations) See the Installation Manual for your GPS version.|||
|3||Ensure GPS unit is fully functional: 3 solid LED (Cellular, GPS, Status)
with engine running.
|4||Shut off engine.|||
|5||Disconnect vehicle battery (recommended)|||
|6||Disconnect 4-pin power connector on GPS unit.|||
|7||Lay out the Connect hardware and cables in an accessible location.|||
|8||Install RAM mount and backing plate.|||
|9||Route and connect the Connect Tablet Power/Serial cable.|||
|10||Reconnect vehicle battery.|||
|11||Connect 4-pin power connector to GPS unit.|||
|13||Ensure GPS unit has 3 solid LED (Cellular, GPS, Status) within 3-4 minutes.|||
|14||Snap the Connect tablet into the dock if not already docked.|||
|15||Power on the Connect.
Be advised, the first time boot-up process may take several minutes to complete. After this process, the device will present a login screen.
|16||Log into the Connect with a driver ID and PIN.|||
|17||Perform the Connect system check.|||
|18||Shut off engine.|||
|A. Connect Tablet||D. GPS unit|
|B. Connect Dock||
E. Connect Power/Serial Cable
|C. RAM Mount with Mounting Screws and Aluminum Backing Plate||F. AC/DC Power Adapter (output 5V/2.5A) with a micro-USB cable|
GPS UNIT WITH MOUNT
Dimensions in inches
Optional Back-Up Camera Information
This feature is not supported as of May 2017.
Connect is capable of automatically displaying video from a third party back-up camera. The camera must only provide video feed when the vehicle is in reverse gear. The video feed must be turned off when the vehicle is not in reverse. Often, this is accomplished by only supplying power to the back-up camera when the vehicle is in reverse. Connect’s screen will automatically switch between computer and video display mode without user interaction.
While hooking a video feed from a backup camera into the Connect may provide a safety benefit, video feeds have the potential to be very distracting. Zonar strongly recommends that customers implement a thorough safety review before deciding to hook up any video feeds into the Connect. Customers assume all liability for use of any video feeds with the Connect.
- Do not drill into the Connect Tablet or the Dock unit. This will void the warranty.
- Capture all drill chips during drilling. Do not allow chips to fall onto equipment, furnishings, etc.
- De-burr all drill holes on both sides of drilled surface.
- All drill holes must have a rubber grommet or similar anti-chafing system installed to protect cable assemblies (e.g. plastic conduit).
- Seal all penetration drill holes which may pass rain water.
- Strain relieve and support all cable installations.
- Avoid sharp bends and tight radius installations of cables.
- Avoid moving components (e.g. doors, steering shafts, handles, fans, etc.).
- Provide an adequate “Service Loop” (i.e. “cable slack”) to allow for servicing of equipment.
- Avoid routing cables through doors, windows, and other pinch points.
- Avoid routing cables where personnel may snag or damage the cabling.
- Avoid routing antenna cables near radio and PA equipment.
- Bend radius adequate
- Hole has grommet
- Bend radius too tight
- Hole has sharp edges
- Hole has no grommet
- Capture all drill chips during drilling operations. Magnets, sticky tape, vacuums, physical barriers, etc. may all be used to accomplish this task. Do not allow drill chips to fall onto electrical equipment, furnishings, heating ducts, etc.
- Remove excess sealant. Sealant should be debris/contaminant free (e.g. drill chips), consistent, and uniform in appearance.
- Clip excess wire tie protrusions.
Mounting Position Considerations
- Verify placement acceptability with state DOT/law enforcement prior to installation.
- Follow all general guidelines listed above.
- Lay all components out prior to installation to check for cable length and interference issues.
- Choose a location which does not impede driver or co-driver entry.
- Ensure location of the installed Connect does not block driver view (including mirrors and gauges) or interfere with safe operation of the vehicle’s controls.
- Choose a location which is within easy reach of the driver or co-driver, and within normal line-of-sight.
- Mount in the vehicle at a convenient height and angle for drivers and co-drivers to access.
- Ensure that the placement of the Connect allows drivers and co-drivers to easily dock and undock the tablet.
- Ensure the mounting surface is strong enough to support the RAM mount and Connect.
- Do not mount the Connect in an area that may interfere with the deployment of an airbag.
- Do not mount the Connect in a location that may impact the driver or co-driver in the event of an accident or sudden stop.
- Do not mount the Connect in dirty or wet areas.
- Do not mount the Connect in areas of direct sunlight.
- Do not mount the Connect in front of an open AC or heater. If unable to install elsewhere, close the vent in front of which the Connect is installed.
- Do not mount the Connect near windows and vents which may pass rain water.
- Avoid mounting the Connect in an area that may limit leg room or where the Connect may likely be used as a foot or elbow rest, etc.
- Do not mount the Connect below a beverage holder.
Refer to the mounting locations guide below for examples of ideal mounting locations. Mounting locations may vary based on the type of vehicle or driver requirements.
- Attach RAM mount to a location visible and accessible to the driver.
- Use backing plate to secure mount.
- Once mounting is securely installed, dock the Connect.
Refer to the cable guide for reference.
- Disconnect vehicle battery (recommended).
- Disconnect GPS unit 4 Pin power.
- Plug in the Connect Power/Data cable to the GPS unit, the Connect dock, vehicle power, and back-up camera (if desired).
- Connect requires a Zonar GPS unit to operate.
- Connect must be fully docked in order to send most data to Zonar servers.
- Power button:
- Press and release to power-on, wake and place in sleep mode.
- Press and hold to power down unit.
- RFID scanner’s optimal range is within 1".
- Prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures can affect the Connect’s performance. See System Specifications.
System Installation Diagram
System Check - Minimum Requirements
- An installer must perform a full system check to verify the proper connection and operation of the Connect.
- GPS System Check: Start vehicle engine and ensure the following LEDs are:
- Cellular - Solid - Green
- GPS - Solid - Green or Orange
- Status - Solid - Green
- Power on the Connect and allow the device to boot up to the login screen:
- Scan the Driver card or manually enter the Driver ID.
- Enter the Driver PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- Verify on-board SIM is active:
- “No Service” should change to 3G/4G upon successful connection to a cell tower after no more than one minute.
- Using the web browser, navigate to www.zonarsystems.com to test data connectivity. NOTE: Some websites may be restricted due to Zonar Security Policies.
- Connect to Wi-Fi® (Optional).
- Ensure all purchased application(s) are present on the Connect. They may include one or more of the following applications:
- Zonar Logs - Hours of Service
- Navigation - Mapping and turn-by-turn direction
- Messaging - Two-way communication between Asset and Dispatcher
- EVIR - Asset inspection
- Application checkout:
- Zonar Logs - Not required.
- Navigation - Open application, ensure map is oriented to your location.
- Messaging - Ensure message can be sent:
- From the Connect to Dispatcher - Ensure dispatcher can read the message.
- From Dispatcher to the Connect - Ensure the message can be read on the Connect.
- Perform a full inspection using the Connect and RFID tags.
- Verify with the dispatcher that inspection successfully uploads to Ground Traffic Control after the Connect is placed back into the dock.
- Back-Up Camera (if equipped)
- Apply vehicle brake(s).
- Put the transmission in “reverse,” and the Connect will switch over to rear camera view within 5 seconds.
- Take the transmission out of “reverse” and the Connect will revert back to the application screen view.
|Weight||2.1 lbs (Tablet)
1.1 lbs (Dock)
|Speaker||Stereo, 93 dBA|
|Dimensions||9.1 x 6.0 x 1.2 in, tablet only
9.5 x 6.75 x 3.1 in, with dock
6.0 x 3.2 in, visible screen
|Microphone||Dual Mic (noise canceling)|
|CORE AND MEMORY||Analog Video In||Yes|
|Processor||Quad Core 1.0 GHz||BATTERY||4720 mAh lithium ion|
|Memory||2 GB DDR3||VEHICLE POWER|
|Storage||32 GB eMMC (internal)||Voltage||8 VDC - 30 VDC vehicle battery|
|WIRELESS||Charge Disabled||<1 mA with tablet undocked; 3mA with tablet in dock|
|Cellular Modem||3G/4G/LTE; Carrier: AT&T||Charge Enabled, Tablet Off||@ 12VDC @ 1.2A|
|SIM||Industrial embedded MIM||Max Draw||@ 12VDC @ 1.5A|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth 4.1, including BLE||ENVIRONMENTAL|
|Wi-Fi||802.11b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct||Operating Temp Docked (ext. power)||-4°F to 140°F
(-20°C to 60°C)
|NFC||NFCIP1, NFCIP2||Operating Temp Un-Docked (internal battery)||-4°F to 140°F
(-20°C to 60°C)
|RFID||Frequency: 125 kHz RFID
Read Range: 0-1"
|Storage Temperature||-40°F to 185°F
(-40°C to 85°C)
|GPS||GPS (internal antenna)||Charge Temperature||32°F to 140°F
(0°C to 60°C)
|EXTERNAL PORTS||Humidity||95% RH, non-condensing|
|USB||Type A Host; MicroAB (On-The-Go)||Vibration||MIL-STD-810G|
|Audio Jack||4-contact||Shock||MIL-STD-202G 30 G|
|External Storage||SD Slot||Fatigue||ISO 16750-3, 96 hrs|
|CAMERA||Drop Test||MIL-STD-810G, 18 drops|
|Ambient Light Sensor||Yes||Impact (IK)||IEC 62262, IK06|
|Rear Camera||8 MP High Dynamic Range (with flash)||UV||ISO 4892 5-year equivalent|
|Front Camera||2 MP||Water/Dust||IP54|
|DISPLAY||Dimension: 7" diagonal
Resolution: 1024x600 pixels (160 dpi)
Brightness: 400 nit
Thin-film transistor (TFT), normally black
IEC 61000-4-2 +/-8 kV contact, +/-15 kV air
Warning: (Part 15.21)
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by Zonar Systems could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected. Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
- Any changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the authority to operate equipment.
- This device and its antenna must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
- End-users and installers must be provided with antenna installation instructions and transmitter operating conditions for satisfying RF exposure compliance.
- For product available in the USA/Canada market, only channel 1~11 can be operated. Selection of other channels is not possible.
FCC RF Radiation Exposure Statement
This equipment complies with FCC RF radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment for body-worn configuration in direct contact to the phantom.
RSS-Gen Issue 4 8.4
This device complies with Industry Canada’s license-exempt RSSs. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause interference; and (2) This device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
Industry Canada ICES-003 Compliance Label
CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B)
This device and its antenna(s) must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
Warranty And Legal Notices