If you are having issues with a new installation in a vehicle that has never had an operational 2020 tablet, contact Zonar at (877)843-3847.
Light States: The LED is located in the upper left corner of the 2020 tablet. If the light is green, the unit is charging. If the light is blue, the unit is ready to accept RFID card and tag scans on the left corners of the unit.
1. GPS Unit: The 2020 tablet relies on a fully functioning GPS Unit. The 2020 tablet transmits and receives data via the cellular chip inside the GPS Unit. The GPS Unit provides GPS and Odometer values to the 2020 tablet, and the tablet must be docked to communicate with the GPS Unit.
2. WiFi: The 2020 tablet uses WiFi to get firmware, Zonar applications, form templates, and EVIR inspection configuration updates. The tablet requires WiFi to transmit EVIR inspection defect pictures.
Note: The EVIR inspection will transmit without the picture to be legally compliant.
Best Practice: If something isn’t working, it is best to put the 2020 tablet in the cradle. If this does not resolve the issue, undock the tablet and then re-dock it. Give the 2020 tablet a slight tug to ensure it is properly docked.
The 2020 will not read RFID driver card or RFID tags
- The tablet’s orientation is incorrect.
Solution: Properly orient the tablet for optimal card and tag scanning. The RFID card and tag reading areas are the left edges of the tablet. These are the edges by the physical power button.
- The tablet is too far away from the card or tag.
Solution: The tablet read range is from 0-2 inches from the left corners.
- The driver card or tag is defective.
Solution: Scan the problem card or tag with a known good 2020 tablet. If the card or tag will still not scan, replace the card or tag.
- There is an issue with the RFID mounting surface.
Solution: If a tag is located on steel, curved surfaces, or close to edges or a vehicle, the tablet tag system may be degraded. Move the tag or try another tag in the same area.
2020 inspections will not upload
- The GPS Unit is not connected to a cellular network.
Solution: Start the engine and ensure that the Status, GPS, and Cellular LEDs are all solid.
- The tablet and dock are misaligned or there is an electrical contact issue.
Solution: Undock and then redock the tablet. Inspect the electrical pins of both the tablet and the dock. Make sure that the tablet snaps into the dock. And, check the pin-to-pin contact of the tablet and dock.
- Failed send attempt.
Solution: Open the EVIR application and tap the Resend Inspection button.
Audio will not play through 2020 tablet speakers
If this issue occurs, the tablet has “Enable Audio Control Delay” enabled.
To resolve this issue, turn this option off (Lower Main Screen > Zonar Settings > Enable Audio Control Delay—unchecked).
2020 Fails to load the log in screen - stuck on "downloading account information"
- The GPS Unit has not established a GSM connection yet.
Solution: Wait up to two minutes for the GPS Unit to gain a connection and try again. Ensure the GPS Unit has three solid LEDS (Status, GPS, Cellular).
- The tablet is unable to get account information from the server.
Solution: Wait up to five minutes and try again. The “Downloading account information” screen will only show up during first-time boots (after the data partition wipe or after associating with a new asset for the first time). “Downloading manifest URL” and “Downloading manifest” are two other screens that may appear during delays. If either of these appear, retry the process.
- The tablet is not configured correctly in Ground Traffic Control.
Solution: Call Zonar (877-843-3847).
2020 Frozen Screen/Unit unresponsive
Note: This is different from a blackened screen, see "unit will not power on" for blackened screens.
- The 2020 tablet is processing data or transitioning screens.
Solution: Wait 30 seconds. If the screen is still frozen/unresponsive, push the Home or Return hard keys on the tablet.
- The tablet is locked.
Solution: Press and hold the power button for seven seconds. When the screen flashes, press and release the power button again to power the tablet on.
- The tablet requires a master reboot.
Solution: Locate the Reset stamp on the back of the tablet. Insert a paper clip into the small hole (a “click” will be felt and heard) and hold for 30 seconds before releasing. Press the Power button on the front of the tablet to restart it.
- The tablet requires the battery to be fully drained.
Solution: Allow the unit to fully lose its charge overnight. Place the unit in the cradle the next day. If the unit is still unresponsive, call Zonar (877-843-3847).
Unable to log into the 2020
- First time Log in
Solution: A first time log in requires that the 2020 be in its dock with full GPS Unit connectivity (3 green LEDs). This can take several minutes if this is a first-time boot.
Note: If a message appears that says, “Timed out while downloading account information,” try again.
- Driver information is not entered into Ground Traffic Control.
Solution: Ask your Ground Traffic Control administrator to ensure that the driver is properly set up in Ground Traffic Control. The Zonar tag (driver) number, PIN, and HOS Ruleset are all required for this process.
- The 2020 tablet is disconnected from the GPS Unit and does not have a cached driver enabled.
Solution: Snap the 2020 tablet back into the dock. Ensure that the GPS Unit has three solid LEDs (Status, GPS, Cellular) after docking the tablet.
2020 WiFi Issues
WiFi is required to upload applications, upload inspection photos, and to use the web browser. The 2020 tablet is NOT a WiFi hotspot. However, the tablet can connect to external WiFi stations or a WiFi signal from the GPS Unit. When the tablet is connected to WiFi, the WiFi symbol on the upper right corner of the screen will be present, dark gray, and will have more than one bar. If the tablet is not connecting to WiFi, use the following causes and solutions to resolve the issue.
- WiFi has not been enabled on the 2020 tablet.
Solution: Enable WiFi on the tablet (Tools > Settings > Wireless & Networks). Check the WiFi box.
- Port 8081 is disabled on the WiFi access point.
Solution: Enable the 8081 port on the WiFi access point. For help with this, contact your company’s WiFi administrator.
2020 tablet will not power on
- The tablet is powered off or sleeping.
Solution: Press and hold the power button for 2-3 seconds. If this does not work, press and hold the power button for 7-10 seconds.
- The tablet is being operated in a bright, sunny area.
Solution: Move the tablet to a dark area and turn the screen brightness higher. (Main Screen > Tools > Settings > Brightness).
- The battery is not charged.
Solution: Place the tablet in the cradle until it is recharged. The LED light on the upper left of the tablet will illuminate green to indicate that the tablet is charging.
- The tablet is outside of the recommended temperature range.
Solution: Move the tablet to an area within the recommended temperature range.
Note: If the tablet is docked, the temperature range is -20C to 60C (-4F to 140F). If the tablet is undocked, the temperature range is -10C to 60C (14F to 140F).
- The tablet requires a master reboot.
Solution: Locate the “reset” stamp on the back of the tablet. Insert a paper clip into the small hole (a “click” will be felt and heard) and hold for 30 seconds before releasing. Press the power button on the front of the tablet to restart it.
- Undefined issue.
Solution: Install a known-good tablet from another vehicle. If that tablet works, RMA the original tablet. If that tablet does not work, the issue is downstream (e.g. cradle, wire, or vehicle issue).
2020 LED does not turn green after docking
- The 2020 tablet might be outside of the battery charging temperature range.
Solution: Move the tablet to an area that is within the charging range (0C to 50C, or 32F to 122F).
- There is a misalignment between the tablet and the dock, or there is an electrical contact issue.
Solution: Remove the tablet from the dock and then reinsert it. If this does not work, inspect the tablet and dock’s electrical pins.
Note: The tablet should “snap” into its dock.
- The 2020 data/electrical cable 4-pin connectors have been installed incorrectly.
Solution: Ensure the 4-pin connectors are connected properly. The 4-pin male electrical connector is marked “To GPS” and must be connected to the GPS Unit. The 4-pin female electrical connector is marked “From Vehicle” and must be connected to the Zonar vehicle power/data cable (LightDuty, MOAC-B, MOAC-T, or GPS Power).
- The 2020 data/electrical cable is not properly connected.
Solution: Reseat all electrical connections on the 2020 dock and GPS Unit.
- The vehicle has an electrical issue.
Solution: Ensure that the vehicle’s battery disconnect switch is engaged (if equipped) and that the vehicle’s electrical system is working properly. Start the engine and ensure that the GPS Unit’s LEDs are all solid.
Note: The Cellular LED should be green, the GPS LED should be green or orange, and the Status LED should be green.
- Undefined issue.
Solution: Install a known good 2020 tablet from another vehicle. If the 2020 charge indicator now works, RMA the original 2020 tablet. If the known good 2020 tablet still does not show a green charge light, the issue stems from the cradle, wire bundle, GPS Unit, or the vehicle.