ZTrak™: Battery-Operated Asset Tracking
Designed to withstand harsh outdoor environments and equipped with an exceptional battery life, Zonar’s ZTrak™ is an ideal solution for managing assets that will be deployed for long periods without maintenance needs. With ZTrak™, your equipment can be located easily and reliably.
Tough and Reliable
ZTrak™ provides ruggedized, long-lasting GPS locating capabilities in one simple-to-install device.
Long Battery Life - Dependable asset tracking for over 5 years on a 1 location-per-day cycle, 3 years on a 2 call per day schedule, and 1.75 years on a 4 call per day schedule. The battery is designed to be field replaceable to extend the working life to over 10 years, providing the best in class for total ownership value.
Rugged - Made with superior internal antennas for both cellular and GPS communication, the sealed and rugged enclosure is designed to withstand the harshest outdoor environments.
Web-based Locating - Companies can monitor asset location efficiently and easily through Zonar’s Ground Traffic Control™. This web-based asset management portal provides pinpoint location reports with just a few simple clicks.
- 5-year battery life expectancy at one position update per day
- 3-year battery life expectancy at two position updates per day
- 1.5-year battery life expectancy at four position updates per day
- IP67 rating - sealed and rugged enclosure
- Operating temperature range of -30˚ C to 75˚C (-22˚F to167˚F)
- Built in cellular and GPS antenna for easy installation
- No external wires or cables
Trailer Placement and Orientation
- Mount a minimum of 8” from personnel (e.g. driver, passenger, operator).
- The unit must ideally have a clear, unobstructed view to the open sky in order to receive and process GPS signals from orbiting satellites.
- Level device in mounting area with side serial number label facing
- ZTrak must be mounted in a location that will keep it protected from impact damage and have a clear view of the sky.
Installation and System Check
- Properly associate “GPS/ESN” from affixed label to asset number in GTC (Ground Traffic Control™). Asset type must be set to “ZTrak”.
- Remove magnetic rod to activate unit. It is advised that you keep this This magnet (or a magnet of similar or stronger strength) may be used to reset the “Call Home” timer.
- Confirm unit is properly working in Ground Traffic Control™.
- Determine optimal mounting
- Level device in mounting. We recommend you orient the unit to allow easy reading of the serial number label on the side of the
- Center punch and drill four mounting
- If needed, apply RTV sealant inside the mounting
- Bolt or screw device to vehicle, container or asset (do not over-torque hardware, this may crack the housing).
Typical Trailer Installation
Typical Intermodal Installation
System Components and Specifications
|ZTrak Unit||Operating Voltage: 3.6V Internal Battery|
|GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS||PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS|
|Communication Modes: GPRS Packet Data||Dimensions: 2.25 x 2.25 x 10.5 inches|
|Location Technology: 50 Channel GPS||55 x 55 x 260 mm with mounting|
|Operating Voltage: 3.6V Internal Battery||Weight: 2 lbs|
|LOCATION SPECIFICATIONS||ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS|
|Technology: 50 Channel GPS (SBAS, DGBS)||Operating Temp: -30°C to 75°C (-22°F to 167°F)|
|Accuracy: 2.0 meter (w/ SBAS)||Storage Temp: -40°C to 85°C (-40°F to 185°F)|
|Track Sensitivity: -160 dBm (tracking)||Humidity: 95%RH @ 50C Non-Condensing|
|AGPS Capable||Shock/Vibration: MIL-STD-202G, MIL-STD-810F &|
|BATTERY PACK SPECIFICATIONS||SAE J1455|
|Capacity: 57 Ah||EMC/EMI: SAE J1113; FCC Part 15 Class B;|
|Operating Voltage: 3.6V||Industry Canada|
|Technology: Lithium||RoHS Compliant|
|Field Replaceable Battery Pack||CONNECTORS, SIM ACCESS|
|GSM SPECIFICATIONS||SIM Access: Internal|
|Cellular/PCS: FCC - Parts 22, 24; PTCRB||MOUNTING|
|GPRS: Up to Class 10||Bolt Mount: Hardware provided|
|Quad Band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz||Magnetic Mount (optional)|
|Output Power: 850 (Class 4) 2W|
|900 (Class 4) 2W|
|1800 (Class 1) 1W|
|1900 (Class 1) 1W|
WARNING: This device contains a lithium battery. See section "Handling Lithium Batteries" for more information.
No Contact with Unit
- Depending on unit configuration, units are scheduled to "call home" with location updates 1-4 times per day.
- Does the unit have a clear view of the open sky? The unit will not work indoors or under heavy cover (e.g. trees, canopies, etc.)
- Has someone moved a container or other object into the area of the ZTrak™, blocking its view of the open sky?
- Is the unit in an AT&T cellular coverage area?
- If this is a new installation, has the metallic activation bar been removed from the unit?
- Is the unit mounted next to any magnetic object? To avoid the risk of putting the device into a “deep sleep” mode, keep the ZTrak away from magnets.
- Is the unit within its operating range of -30°C to 75°C (-22°F to 167°F)?
- Contact Zonar to ensure SIM is active.
- As a last resort, you may reboot the unit by removing the end cap and disconnecting the battery for 5 seconds. See "Handling Lithium Batteries" section for details.
Resetting “Call Home” Timer
- Depending on the ZTrak plan purchased, the unit will “call home” and report GPS position on a 6, 12 or 24-hour schedule. The ZTrak user can reset the time at which this occurs by passing a magnet over the location indicated below several times. The magnetic bar that came with the new unit or an equivalent/stronger replacement magnet may be used to perform this function.
- Example: Suppose a 12 hour “call home” unit calls home every day and reports location at 3 AM/3 PM, but the ZTrak user prefers 8 AM/8 PM location updates. The ZTrak user would need to slowly wave a magnet over the surface of the unit at 8 AM several times and then check Ground Traffic Control™ to confirm the modified call home schedule.
Placing Unit in” Deep Sleep” Mode
The user may desire to place the unit in a “deep sleep” mode to conserve battery life. The unit will not report its position when it is in this mode. To place the unit in “deep sleep” mode:
- Place magnet in the indicated position. This area is slightly raised on the unit to show its location.
- Secure magnets with temporary tape or other means.
- Verify in GTC that the unit no longer reports location.
- Remove magnet to reactivate.
Handling Lithium Batteries
- Shipping: ZTrak™ contains a lithium battery. Remove and properly dispose of lithium battery prior to shipping ZTrak unit.
- Shipping lithium batteries without proper certification can lead to substantial fines and penalties. Do not transport lithium battery (installed or removed) on passenger aircraft.
- Disposal/Recycling Batteries: All lithium batteries must be recycled or disposed in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations. Material Safety Data Sheets are available upon request.
- Storage: ZTrak batteries not installed within a 4-week period from the time of delivery must be stored in a cool, dry place. Store in a cool (below 30°C (86°F), dry and ventilated area, which is subject to little temperature change. Do not place the battery near heating equipment, nor expose to direct sunlight for long periods. Elevated temperatures can result in shortened battery life and degrade performance.
CAUTION: Failure to properly store batteries will void the warranty.
The following procedures describe steps to remove and replace the ZTrak™ battery pack.
- Remove Battery Cap: Insert Phillips head screwdriver and remove the four screws. Remove the end cap and set aside.
- Disconnect Power Cable: Remove the rubber gasket and set aside. Disconnect the red and black power cable by pulling two connector halves apart. Do not pull on the power wires.
- Remove/Replace Battery Pack: Ensure gap in battery pack foam is aligned with device power cable. Slide the battery pack out of the enclosure. Slide replacement battery pack into the enclosure.
- Reconnect Power Cables: Replace gasket and reconnect the white connectors.
- Replace Battery Cap: Seat the cap housing to the gasket to ensure a tight fit. Insert the screws using a Phillips head screwdriver and turn clockwise until hand tight.
For optimal security, tighten the screws in an X pattern. If a torque wrench is available, tighten the screws with a torque of 5 in/lbs. +/- 0.5.
Warranty And Legal Notices