Zonar OTAir simplifies the calibration process for Cummins engines by implementing Connected Software Updates in as little as five minutes of equipment downtime.
To perform an update using Zonar OTAir and Cummins Connected Software Updates, you’ll need:
- A vehicle with a Cummins 2017 or newer engine, with Zonar V3 or V4 telematics unit installed
- Access to the Cummins Connected Solutions Portal *
- Android or iOS smart device (phone or tablet), with Zonar OTAir app downloaded
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or VIN QR code decal
*The Connected Solutions Portal provides fleets with real-time engine fault code data when Cummins Connected Diagnostics and Advisor remote diagnostics services are enabled, which are offered as part of your Zonar subscription. If you haven’t yet enabled these services, please complete this form to get your account set up.
How it Works
Through the Cummins Connected Solutions portal, a fleet manager is automatically notified that a software update is available for specific engines within the fleet. through the Cummins Connected Individual engines or all eligible engines can be selected to receive the update. Each software update is customized to the specific engine, and includes all the customer-specified parameters so engine setup and preferences remain the same.
Once a calibration update is approved in the portal, the encrypted Cummins software is sent through the cloud to the vehicle’s onboard telematics system and buffered into the engine control module (ECM). Firmware updates available on the vehicle’s engines are automatically downloaded through the Zonar V4™ telematics box to the Cummins ECM while the vehicle is in motion.
The fleet manager notifies the operator that a new software update is ready to be installed.
How to Update Your Vehicle ECM Software
When it is safe for the vehicle to be stationary:
- Tap the Zonar OTAir app on your mobile device.
- Enter the VIN in one of two ways:
- Tap SCAN VIN QR/BARCODE to scan the VIN barcode label for the vehicle; or
- Tap USE KEYBOARD to enter the VIN manually.
- Tap SUBMIT.
- If an ECM update is available, you will be prompted to read the safety and equipment requirements for the software update.
For safety, you must engage the parking break, turn off the engine, and put the key to the ON position.
Tap the check box to confirm you have completed the instructions.
- Tap BEGIN ECM UPDATE to start the update.
Do not attempt to start the engine, move the vehicle, or interrupt the update process until it has completed.
- Once the software is installed and verified, the operator and fleet manager will each receive confirmation and the vehicle will be ready to roll.
Your Cummins engine maintains the original software in the engine control module throughout the update process. Should any problem occur, the previous version is automatically restored minimizing any risk of interruption to your schedule.