Why should I use a Reader Download Station?
Unlike a normal 2010 Vehicle Mount which connects to a Zonar GPS unit, a Reader Download Station (RDS) connects to an internet-capable computer.
- The RDS permits sending EVIRs or employee time punches to Ground Traffic Control via the internet instead of a Zonar GPS unit.
- The RDS can also be used to reconfigure a 2010 handheld for different inspections, e.g. changing from a bulldozer inspection to a straight truck inspection.
What is needed to use a Reader Download Station?
- Reader Download Station (Zonar part# RDS001-H)
- Power supply (included)
- USB-to-Serial cable (included)
- ZonarCom 3 (version 3.6.3 build 117)
ZonarCom 3 must be installed first! Do not plug in the RDS until the software has been installed!
Installing ZonarCom 3
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP(Service Pack 3)
- Windows 2000(Service Pack 4)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
- Windows 8 (32/64 bit)
- Windows 10
If you do not see your operating system listed, Zonar cannot guarantee stable operation or provide technical support.
Click to download the file zonarcom3-3_6_3_117.exe. You will need to open the folder and run the program file found inside.
Installing ZonarCom 3 requires administrator permissions. If you do not have administrator permissions on your computer, contact your IT administrator before attempting to install.
When the downloaded installer is executed (run), the ZonarCom 3 Setup Wizard will guide the user through the installation process. Click on the Next button to continue installation or the Cancel button to abort the installation process.
The setup wizard will now display a screen which allows the user to view the End User License Agreement (EULA). This EULA must be accepted before the Wizard will continue. If you do not wish to accept any of the terms of the EULA, you may hit the Cancel button to cancel installation of the software. Otherwise, click Next.
Select where on your computer you would like to install ZonarCom 3. By default, it will be installed in C:\Program Files\zonar\zonarcom3\.
Select how you would like ZonarCom 3 to appear in your Start Menu.
Select whether you would like regular users to update software, and whether the software may be updated automatically. Both options are recommended.
The installation will complete. You may close the install window. Zonarcom 3 may pop up automatically on the configuration screen. Click Cancel for now.
Setting Up The RDS
- Plug the power cable into the bottom of the RDS, then plug into an available wall outlet.
- Check that the RDS is properly powered by inserting a 2010 handheld. The green charging LED should light up once the handheld is in place.
- Attach the USB-to-Serial cable to the end of the serial connection on the RDS, then plug into an available working USB port on the computer.
- IMPORTANT: Restart the computer.
Configuring ZonarCom 3
Once the computer has restarted, you can access ZonarCom 3 by right-clicking on the small icon in the system tray.
Select Settings > Configuration...
This screen is where ZonarCom 3 may be configured. Some settings may be left as default, but certain settings must be properly configured.
- Customer (Required): Your Zonar account code. This is the ABC1234 code found beneath your name in the upper right corner of Ground Traffic Control.
- Upload Password (Required): A special password unique to ZonarCom 3 that must be obtained from Zonar Customer Support. Your login password will not work.
- Upload Location (Required): A description of where the RDS is located, such as Dispatch, Garage, East Yard, etc. This information is attached to any EVIRs sent through the RDS.
- Port (Required): The communications port the RDS is connected to. Follow these steps to obtain the correct port:
- Power on a 2010 handheld. If one is in the RDS, remove it first.
- Place the 2010 handheld in the RDS. The LED on the RDS should turn green.
- Click Auto Detect on the Configuration window.
- You should receive the following message (the COM number may differ):
- If you receive the message Auto-detect Failed, follow the instructions on the message and try again.
- RDS (Serial Cradle): Make sure this option is selected. EVIRNET is deprecated.
- Software Settings: These may be configured to preference. It is recommended to keep them checked.
- Use proxy: If your network requires connecting to a proxy to communicate with outside systems, the information can be set here. If you need assistance, contact your IT administrator.
- Store Config: Once all settings are configured, this button will save the configuration. You should receive the following messages:
If you receive the following message, check your Customer code and Upload Password. You may need to contact Zonar Customer Support to verify the information:
Once the configuration has been saved, the RDS will now automatically transfer all EVIRs from the inserted 2010 handheld to your Ground Traffic Control account. ZonarCom 3 will run in the background and does not require further interaction.
|Green||The 2010 is successfully connected to the station.|
|Red||The 2010 has made partial contact but is not fully connected.|
|Flashing Green/Red||The 2010 is transferring data.|
|Yellow||The 2010 is only partially connecting to the station, possibly due to improper docking or damaged contacts.|