Q: What do I do if my ZTrak has not reported a location recently?
- Unit is sleeping (non-issue)
Solution: Wait for a call home from the unit. The unit is designed to call home and report its position once, twice, or four times each day (depending on configuration).
- There is poor cellular coverage due to geographic location, cellular network type, or installation location.
Solution: Ensure that the unit is installed in an area with cellular coverage and is mounted high in the vehicle, free from metallic obstructions.
- The activation magnet has not been removed from the ZTrak unit.
Solution: Remove the activation magnet (affixed to the top of the unit with temporary tape).
- The unit is mounted next to a magnetic object.
Solution: Move the unit away from the magnetic object.
- The temperature is too hot or cold for the ZTrak unit to operate.
Solution: Move the ZTrak unit to an appropriate location with a temperature range of -30C to 75C (-22F to 167F).
- The SIM (Cellular chip) is not activated or (if it is outside of the United States) is not set to roaming.
Solution: Contact Zonar to check the SIM status (877-843-3847).
- Try power cycling by:
- running a magnet along the top of the unit.
- removing the battery. To do so, remove the end cap, disconnect battery lead, and wait 10 seconds before reconnecting the battery lead. Reassemble the unit, paying special attention to the gasket. See ZTrak installation manual for detailed instructions with graphics.
Q: How do I change the time that my ZTrak unit phones home during the day?
A: Move a magnet over the surface of your ZTrak unit at the precise time that you would like it to phone home. This will reset its 12-24 hour phone home timer and cause it to transmit its location at this time moving forward.
Q: How do I get my ZTrak units to ping more than once a day?
A: Contact your sales representative for options and pricing on increased ping rates. There is a nominal fee increase due to the extended bandwidth required for increased rates. Additionally, be aware that the battery life of 5 years is based on one ping per day; increased ping rates will shorten the battery life accordingly.
Q: I do not see my ZTrak unit(s) in Ground Traffic Control.
- ZTrak units are only visible in the ZTrak application. Contact Zonar if you do not see a ZTrak icon in Reports > GPS Track & Trace > ZTrak.
- ZTrak unit is set to inactive.
Solution: Go to Manage > Assets in Ground Traffic Control. Ensure you have “Active and Inactive” assets visible. Find/Edit your asset and ensure that it is set to “Active.”
- The ZTrak unit is not properly configured.
Solution: Go to Manage > Assets in Ground Traffic Control. Ensure that the “GPS Device Type” is set to “ZTrak.”
Q: How can I determine the remaining battery life on my ZTrak unit?
A: ZTrak units do not possess non-volatile memory and are therefore unable to accurately track battery life if the battery is disconnected from the unit at any time. Any battery estimate Zonar could provide would therefore be too unreliable to be of use.
ZTrak batteries are rated at 5+ years at one (1) ping per day. Should a ZTrak unit stop responding, perform normal troubleshooting and replace if operation does not resume.