- Logging In & Out
- Using Zonar Applications
- Zonar Settings
- Support & Maintenance
The Samsung Tab Active tablet is a rugged Android tablet, providing all-in-one technology for drivers to perform inspections, navigate routes, view workflows, manage tasks, send and receive messages, maintain electronic HOS records and receive driving performance feedback. Drivers and managers may easily access driver and vehicle information using Zonar’s Ground Traffic Control fleet management software to improve efficiency, productivity and safety across their organizations.
The primary purpose of this guide is to walk users through the basic functions of the Tab Active. While we attempt to point out the most common operations and functions, keep in mind that common sense, good housekeeping procedures, attention to detail and safety precautions are critical for the successful use and maintenance of the Tab Active. We also provide additional materials with and installed on the tablet, and found on the Zonar website to assist with day-to-day use. Help files located on the tablet provide deeper explanations of the functions and use of installed applications. Quick reference guides are included with the tablet so drivers may quickly reference basic functions. Lastly, our website contains information and resources for the Tab Active and all Zonar products (http://www.zonarsystems.com).
For additional support needs, a team of professional support technicians are available 24/7 at 1-877-843- 3847 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acronyms used in this user guide are listed below.
CMV – Commercial Motor Vehicle
ECM – Engine Control Module
EVIR – Electronic Verified Inspection Report
GPS – Global Positioning System
GSM – Global System for Mobile
HOS – Hours of Service
IMEA – International Mobile Station Equipment Identity
PIN – Personal Identification Number
RFID – Radio Frequency Identification
SD – Secure Digital
SIM – Subscriber Identity Module
TTS – Text-to-Speech
USB – Universal Serial Bus
Requirements for Operation
There are prerequisites that must be met before drivers or technicians will be able to log into the Samsung Tab Active tablet. Ground Traffic Control is used to set up and configure organization, asset and driver information.
Refer to the Ground Traffic Control User Manual for full details on setting up and maintaining Ground Traffic Control.
Before use, the following need to be completed:
- A driver profile must be created in Ground Traffic Control with the following required information:
- First and Last Name
- Zonar Tag Number
- Home Base Location
- The driver must be assigned a Driver ID (Driver ID is also referred to as the Zonar Tag Number).
- The driver needs to be assigned a PIN.
- Organization and asset profiles must have been set up in Ground Traffic Control.
- Organization Profiles contain all of the organization-specific information and settings including which applications will be installed on the Tab Active tablets. Asset Profiles contain all of the vehicle or asset-specific information in the organization.
- Connection to the GPS telematics device must be established (for data transfer from the vehicle and Ground Traffic Control).
- GSM connection must be established (cellular connection needed for data transfer between the GPS unit and Ground Traffic Control).
Typically, the installation technician performs the first-time boot up, downloads and installs any necessary updates, and accepts the license agreements for the Tab Active tablet and Navigation software.
The first time the Tab Active boots up after all software and applications are installed, the device performs a series of internal checks and tests to ensure that it is ready for use. The Tab Active checks for cellular connection (GSM) and if established, updates the Organization and Asset Profiles. The Log In screen will then display, prompting for a Driver ID and PIN.
Logging In & Out
The Tab Active must be docked to log in for the first time or if the driver cache has expired. Login cannot occur when the device is undocked unless the user is cached. This does not apply when logging in from Sleep mode.
- Enter the Driver ID by using the keyboard.
- Enter the PIN using the keyboard.
- Tap the Log In button.
If a repair on the vehicle has been noted in Ground Traffic Control, the user will see a message asking them to confirm completion of repairs before the home screen is accessed.
- On the Home Screen, tap the driver tile in the lower right corner to enter the Manage Drivers screen.
- Tap the Logout button.
- Press the power button for at least 2 seconds.
- Tap Power Off.
- Confirm power off by tapping Power Off again.
Tab Active3 Device Overview
Tab Active2 Device Overview
Tab Active Button Overview
The Tab Active hard buttons allow for constant access to the device’s core functions.
|Power key/Active key – The power/active button powers the Tab Active on and off. In addition, the user can tap the button to enter Awake/Sleep mode.|
|Volume Control – The volume control can be held to increase or decrease the device volume output.|
|Back – The back button will return the user to the previous screen. This function works both while on the home screen and within the installed applications.|
|Home – The home button returns a user to the Tab Active Home Screen regardless of their position within an application or other menu.|
|Recent Apps – The recent apps button allows quick access to all open applications and settings.|
Tab Active Home Screen Overview
The Tab Active Home screen allows for quick access to applications and All Apps.
A user may launch installed Zonar applications through the Home screen through one of two methods. Users may start an application by either tapping an application tile from the main Home screen or by tapping an application icon in the Zonar toolbar. The Tab Active also comes with a number of native applications that are pre-installed at the factory. Users access these applications from the All Apps drawer at the bottom of the Home screen.
The following applications are stock Android applications and are included on all Tab Active tablets. Details on Zonar-specific applications and their use can be found in the Help resource built into the Tab Active.
Users will only see the application tiles and icons for those installed on the device.
When the vehicle is in motion, many applications are locked or have limited function. In order to use the full range of applications, use only while the vehicle is safely stopped.
Within the clock application, users may set and maintain alarms.
The Notification Bar and Icons
The notification bar located at the top of the screen provides important information about the state of the tablet and installed applications. The notification bar always shows the time and date, as well as battery life. In addition, the bar indicates network connections (such as cellular (GSM) and Wi-Fi), GPS connection, new messages, upload and download activity, application warnings and alerts, as well as other system and Android notifications. Refer to the table below for short descriptions of the most common icons.
No Wi-Fi connection
Wi-Fi is connected
No cellular connection
No GPS connection
Battery is charging & level indicator
New unread message
Zonar Logs verify duty status logs edited by dispatcher
Zonar Logs duty status logs to be confirmed
Zonar Logs at-risk violation alert
Zonar Logs driver in violation
EVIR non-critical defects present
EVIR critical defects present
ELD Data Malfunction
Log Sync Complete
To review details of notifications in the notification bar, open the notification drawer.
Tap on the left notification bar at the top of the screen and perform a swipe down with the face of the touchscreen to the bottom. A list of notifications will appear and some notifications provide additional details may be available by tapping an item in the list. To view connection, brightness, and other settings tap on the right notification bar at the top of the screen and perform a swipe down with the face of the touchscreen to the bottom.
The ProClip docking station serves as the home for the tablet. Installed in the vehicle with a mounting device (see the hardware installation guide for more information), the dock charges the tablet while not in use and allows for direct communication with the Zonar telematics device that collects and transmits information about the vehicle’s location and performance.
Some actions in the Zonar applications require that the Tab Active be docked in order to transfer data to/from the telematics device, Zonar data servers, and Ground Traffic Control.
Docking and Undocking
To dock the Tab Active tablet:
- Place the bottom of the tablet in the dock. Line up the terminal connectors on the tablet case with those on the dock.
- Push the tablet back into the dock until it is locked into place.
To undock the Tab Active tablet:
- Slowly pull up on the tension clasp.
- With both hands, slowly pull the tablet forward until it is undocked.
User should place a hand over the tablet to secure the device when ejecting from the dock.
The tablet automatically checks for and downloads updates for all installed applications. If updates are needed, the tablet checks for Wi-Fi/LTE connectivity. If connected, the tablet notifies the user of pending updates and prompts to proceed with the download.
What is transmitted over LTE?
- Log Syncs
- EVIR Configurations and Attached Photos
- Forms Templates
What is not transmitted over LTE?
- EVIR Inspections
If the update is larger than 1MB in size and there is no Wi-Fi connection, the Tab Active downloads and installs the update via cellular network.
Logging in Co-Driver
- From the home screen, tap the Manage Drivers Icon in the lower right corner to open the Manage Drivers screen.
- Tap Add Co-Driver.
- Log in the co-driver on the Co-Driver Log In screen with driver number and PIN.
Changing Active Driver
- From the Home screen, tap the Manage Drivers Icon in the lower right corner to open the Manage Drivers screen.
- Tap the tile of the driver who will be driving. The Make Active icon will switch to "Active". The currently-active driver will switch to "Make Active".
- Tap Save & Continue.
|» Tap »|
The active driver must be changed on this screen in order for the Zonar Logs application to calculate drive time correctly, or to properly assign driver performance alerts and feedback through My Driving.
Using Zonar Applications
Because different fleet types will require the use and installation of different Zonar applications, refer to the help files on your tablet for information and instructions on using the applications installed on your device.
Users may adjust sound volume through the Settings menu:
All Apps menu » Settings » Sounds and vibration
When the tablet is undocked, or docked on a vehicle without power, the device times out and enters sleep mode after a certain period of time to save battery life and for better device security. By default, this period is 30 minutes, but this can be adjusted to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or 30 minutes.
To exit from sleep mode:
- Press the power button on the upper left-hand side of the device.
- Log in with driver number and PIN, if prompted.
To manually enter sleep mode while the device is active, press the power button.
To change the screen timeout setting, from the Tab Active Home Screen, tap the All Apps menu » Settings » Display » Screen Timeout.
- Tap the desired screen timeout setting.
- Press the back button on the tablet twice to return to the previous screen or Home screen.
Users may configure and set preferences using various device settings. For application settings, refer to the Help files for the applications you have installed on your device.
Wireless & Networks
The Wi-Fi setting allows you to turn this feature on and off. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Connections » Turn Wi-Fi on or off using the toggle switch.
When the Tab Active tablet is connected to a Wi-Fi network the Wi-Fi icon will display in the notification bar.
View and add available Wi-Fi networks. Users may also have the Tab Active notify users when a Wi-Fi network is available. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Connections » Wi-Fi.
To configure Wi-Fi on the Tab Active:
- Turn Wi-Fi on by tapping the Wi-Fi toggle button under Wi-Fi.
- Tap a Wi-Fi network from the list under "Wi-Fi networks".
For secured Wi-Fi networks (shown with a lock over the Wi-Fi icon), usernames and/or passwords are required.
- Enter the username in the Identity field, if required.
Tap inside the Identity field to access the keyboard.
Tap Next in the bottom right-hand corner of the keyboard to advance to the Password box.
- Enter the password in the Password field.
Tap inside the Password field to access the keyboard, if needed.
Tap Done in the bottom right-hand corner of the keyboard to remove the keyboard.
- Tap the Connect button.
If connection to the Wi-Fi network is successful, the Wi-Fi icon displays in the notification bar. The word "Connected" displays underneath the name of the currently connected network in the Wi-Fi networks list.
Users may add more than one Wi-Fi network to the list, but only one will be connected at a time. If users have previously accessed a Wi-Fi network by entering credentials, the Tab Active will remember this and display "Remembered" underneath each of these networks, except the one that is currently connected. Users can remove remembered networks by tapping the network and then tapping the Forget button.
The Android keyboard in landscape view may increase the difficulty of managing some network password settings. Turn the tablet to Portrait view for less interference.
Run Device Diagnostics: Your window to information relating to the health of the tablet as well as the status of the GPS unit. This includes software version, vehicle information, and configurations installed. Go to the All Apps menu » Zonar Settings » Tap Run Device Diagnostics.
Enable Driver Cache: Users may have the tablet save their driver profiles. Go to the All Apps menu » Zonar Settings » Enable Driver Cache by using the checkbox.
PIN Lock: Allows the user to adjust the amount of time before they must enter their PIN after the screen goes to sleep. Go to the All Apps menu » Zonar Settings » Tap the down arrow next to "Pin Lock" and then tap the amount of time desired.
View Installed Apps: View installed applications and their version numbers. Go to the All Apps menu » Zonar Settings » Tap View Installed Apps.
Check for Zonar updates: Users may manually request to update applications. Go to the All Apps menu » Zonar Settings » Tap Check for Zonar Updates.
If you receive notification that an application update was not successfully installed, users may use "Check for Zonar updates" to manually request updates to applications.
Volume: Users may adjust the volume levels for media and alarms. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Sounds » Sounds and vibration » Volume. Use the slider bars to adjust the media and alarm volume levels.
Audible selection: Users may enable or disable sound when making screen selections. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings Sounds » Enable or disable using the toggle switch.
Brightness: Users may adjust the brightness level on the Tab Active or set the tablet to do this automatically. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Display » Brightness » Check the "Automatic brightness" checkbox or use the slider to set to desired level.
Screen timeout: Users may change the screen timeout setting from 2 minutes to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or 30 minutes. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Display » Screen timeout » Tap the desired timeout setting.
Language & Keyboard
Select language: Users may change language settings. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » General Management » Language & Input » Tap language » Choose language from the list:
- English (United Kingdom)
- English (United States)
- Español (España)
- Español (Estados Unidos)
Voice input & output
Listen to an example: Users may listen to a short demo of speech synthesis. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Accessibility » Text–to-speech settings » Tap Play.
Default engine: If a user has more than one speech synthesis engine installed, they may specify the default to be used. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Accessibility » Text–to-speech » Preferred engine » Tap the desired setting. The Tab Active currently provides Samsung and Google text-to-speech engines.
Speech rate: Users may change the speed at which text is spoken from Normal to Very slow, Slow, Fast or Very fast. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Accessibility » Text–to-speech » Speech rate » Tap the desired setting.
Language: Users may change the language in which the text is spoken. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Accessibility » Text–to-speech » Language » Tap the desired setting.
Engines: Users may change the engine that generates the speech output. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » Accessibility » Text–to-speech » Preferred engine » Tap the desired setting.
Date & Time
Automatic date and time: Users can enable the tablet to use the date, time, and time zone provided by the network. Tap the toggle switch to enable.
Use 24-hour format: Users can enable or disable the 24-hour clock. Go to the All Apps menu » Settings » General management » Date and time. Tap the toggle switch to enable.
- Tablet requires a Zonar telematics box (V4) to operate.
- Tablet must be fully docked to send most data to Zonar servers.
- Power button:
- Press and release to power on, wake, and place in sleep mode.
- Press and hold to power down unit.
- Prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures can affect tablet performance.
See System Specifications.
System Check – Minimum Requirements
- An installer must perform a full system check to verify the connection and operation of the tablet.
- V3/V4 System Check: Start vehicle engine and confirm the following LEDs:
|GPS||Solid Green or Orange|
- Power on the tablet and allow the device to boot up to the login screen:
- Manually enter the Driver ID.
- Enter the Driver PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- Verify on-board SIM is active:
- “No Service” should change to 4G upon successful connection to a cell tower. This should take no more than one minute.
- Using the web browser, navigate to www.zonarsystems.com to test data connectivity.
Some websites may be restricted due to Zonar Security Policies.
- Connect to Wi-Fi® (Optional).
- Make sure that all purchased application(s) are present on the tablet. They may include one or more of the following applications:
- Zonar Logs - Hours of Service application
- Navigation - Mapping and turn-by-turn direction application
Refer to the Support site for operation instructions for applications and software on the tablet.
Tag Placement Guidelines
See Tag Types and Placement Guidelines for best practices in placing EVIR NFC tags.
The scanner on the Tab Active3 is located in the upper right-hand corner on the back of the tablet. The scanner on the Tab Active2 is located on the back side of the tablet.
When it is necessary to scan an inspection tag during an EVIR inspection, a scanner location graphic displays on the screen. Touch the indicated area on the back of the tablet to the tag and hold for two seconds.
Support & Maintenance
Accessing Help Files and Guides on the Tab Active
To access help files outside of a Zonar Application:
- Tap the Help button in the All Apps menu (found at the bottom of the main screen).
- Tap the desired application icon to open the help file.
Replace the SIM Card
If your device supports a SIM card, follow these instructions to install it.
When you subscribe to a cellular network, you are provided with a SIM card. You may be able to use your previous SIM card. Contact your service provider for more details.
Small components such as SIM cards can pose a choking risk. Please be careful when handling these cards to avoid damaging them.
Replace the Battery
Remove the Back Cover
- Remove the back cover using the slot on the top left of your device.
- Lift the cover up and to the right of the device.
Do not bend or twist the back cover excessively. Doing so may damage the cover.
Install the Battery
You can install a replacement battery.
- Insert the battery into the opening on the back of the device, making sure the connectors align.
- Gently press down to secure the battery.
Replace the Back Cover
Close the back cover before using the device.
- Place the back cover onto the back of the device.
- Press down from the middle of the back cover to the edges.
- Press along the edges of the back cover until you have a secure seal.
Your device is IP68 rated for dust and water resistance. To maintain the water-resistant and dust-resistant features of your device, make sure that the SIM card/Memory card tray openings are maintained free of dust and water, and the tray is securely inserted prior to any exposure to liquids.
Care & Maintenance
- Avoid dropping the tablet or operating it in high-shock or high-vibration environments.
- Do not expose the tablet to water.
- Excessive contact with water can cause the tablet to malfunction.
- Do not store the tablet where prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures can occur.
- Ideal operating temperature: 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F)
- Ideal storage temperature: -20°C to 50°C (-4°F to 122°F)
- Ideal battery charge temperature: 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
- Overheat shutdown temperature: 50°C (122°F)
- Prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures can permanently damage the tablet.
These temperatures reflect in-field usage and as such are more conservative than official Samsung-listed specifications.
- Never use a hard or sharp object to operate the tablet touchscreen. Doing so may damage the touchscreen and leave it nonfunctional.
Cleaning the Tablet
Avoid chemical cleaners and solvents that can damage plastic components.
Cleaning the Tablet Case
- Clean the outer casing of the tablet using a cloth dampened with a mild detergent solution.
- Wipe the device dry with a clean, dry cloth.
Cleaning the Touchscreen
- Use a soft, clean, and lint-free cloth.
- If necessary, use water, isopropyl alcohol, or eyeglass lens cleaner.
- Apply the liquid to the cloth.
- Gently wipe the tablet screen with the cloth.