This is the procedure to convert a V3 telematics unit to operate with 4G cellular networks. The conversion requires a converter box and two paddle antennas.
|1||8-pin Serial Cable|
- Locate the V3 telematics control unit in the bulkhead area.
When upgrading a VTHU unit, refer to the factory installation images for location of the telematics control unit.
- Confirm the serial number of the unit. Located on the back of the unit.
- Plug the 8-pin cable harness from the kit into the converter box.
- Turn the vehicle on to make sure a cellular signal is available on the V3.
- Plug the other end of the serial cable into the 6-pin port on the V3 unit.
- Use zip ties to manage cable slack.
- Use zip ties to secure the converter box to the cable assembly.
Avoid placing directly on/on top of other radios or source of electrical noise.
- Remove the two red caps from the antenna ports on the converter box.
- Attach the two antennas to the converter box at the coaxial terminals.
- Secure the antennas in the bulkhead at least 8 inches apart from each other and 10 inches away from people:
- Clean the surface with an alcohol wipe.
- Remove the adhesive backing.
- Press the antenna in place to secure.
- Secure the V3 telematics unit in its mount.
- Power cycle the V3 telematics unit by unplugging the 4-pin connector, waiting 15 seconds, then plugging the cable back in the device.
- Check the cellular signal light on the V3 telematics unit. A red light indicates that the converter box is functioning and a 4G signal is present.
You can confirm in Ground Traffic Control that the 4G converter kit is installed in the vehicle by checking the GPS Unit Health report for the external SCID of the converter SIM.
- From the main menu of Ground Traffic Control, go to Reports at the top, then in the GPS Track & Trace column, click GPS Unit Health.
- On the list view, click the Show/Hide Columns button and select "External SCID" to add that column to the report.
- Search for the asset number or GPSSN being converted.
- Confirm that the number in the "EXTERNAL SCID" column matches the number of the 4G converter SIM.