This is the procedure to convert a V3 telematics unit to operate with 4G cellular networks. The conversion requires a converter box and two paddle antennas.
- Locate the V3 telematics control unit in the bulkhead area.
- Confirm the serial number of the unit. Located on the back of the unit.
- Plug the serial cable harness from the kit into the converter box.
- Turn the vehicle on to make sure a cellular signal is available on the V3.
- Plug the other end of the serial cable into the 6-pin port on the V3 unit.
- Use zip ties to manage cable slack.
- Use zip ties to secure the converter box to the cable assembly.
Avoid placing directly on/on top of other radios or source of electrical noise.
- Attach the two antennas to the converter box at the coaxial terminals.
- Secure the antennas in the bulkhead at least 8 inches apart from each other and 10 inches away from people:
- Clean the surface with an alcohol wipe.
- Remove the adhesive backing.
- Press the antenna in place to secure.
- Secure the TCU in its mount.
- Check the cellular signal light on the V3 telematics unit. A red light indicates that the converter box is functioning and a 4G signal is present.