The GPS Units report is a resource to verify GPS activity. The report shows all GPS units in the account, whether or not they are currently assigned to an asset. This is crucial for billing purposes, as Zonar bills per GPS unit attached to the account. The report also provides insight into GPS unit activity which can be helpful for troubleshooting.
Accessing The GPS Units Report
From the main menu, go to Reports at the top, then in the GPS Track & Trace column, click GPS Units.
The GPS Units report offers three tabs to help quickly identify fleet issues:
Shows all GPS units in the account.
Missing Phone Home
Shows all GPS units which have not phoned home recently. Units with the Monitored box unchecked will not be shown here.
Units With Power Loss
Shows all V4 units which have reported one or more instances of power loss recently. Units with the Monitored box unchecked will not be shown here.
The report offers a number of filters you can use to narrow the list and view only the assets you are most interested in. Edit the filters to the desired parameters and click Apply to generate a matching list.
- Asset: If searching for a specific asset or set of assets, you can type an asset name or partial asset name here. Typing a partial name will offer a dropdown of matching asset names, which you can select from if you are attempting to filter for a specific asset.
- GPS ID: If searching for a specific GPS unit or set of GPS units, you can type a GPS ID or partial GPS ID here.
- Device Type: Click this dropdown list to select only specific device types (for example, V3, ZTrak, V4, and so on). Only device types which are present in the account will be shown.
- Status: Click this dropdown list to select GPS units assigned to assets which are specifically active or inactive. The options are:
- All: All GPS units are shown.
- Active: All GPS units assigned to active assets are shown.
- Inactive: All GPS units assigned to inactive assets are shown. This can be useful for discovering Auto-Created Assets.
A GPS unit assigned to an inactive asset is not itself inactive and will continue to transmit data. To stop a GPS unit from transmitting data and the subsequent billing, see Service Deactivation.
- Location: Click this dropdown list to select a specific location. This will display all GPS units assigned to assets which are assigned to the selected location. To configure locations, see Admin Locations.
- Attribute Filters: Click this dropdown to select any pre-configured attribute filters. This will display all GPS units assigned to assets which the attribute filter captures. To configure attribute filters, see Admin Attributes.
- Select Attributes: Click this dropdown to filter by attributes without using a pre-configured attribute filter.
- Assigned: Click this dropdown in the All Devices tab to select GPS units by whether they are assigned to assets or not. The options are:
- Show All Units: All GPS units are shown.
- Assigned GPS Units: All GPS units currently assigned to assets are shown.
- Unassigned GPS Units: All GPS units not currently assigned to assets are shown.
- Unassigned GPS Units With Data: All GPS units not currently assigned to assets, but which have transmitted data to this account in the past, are shown.
- Since Last Phone Home: Click this dropdown in the Missing Phone Home and Power Loss tabs to select how many hours or days in the past to start looking for missing phone homes or power loss events. For example, select 3 days to show GPS units which have not phoned home within the last three days, or the number of power loss events within the last three days.
- Columns: Click Show/Hide Columns to customize the data shown in the results table. Check a box to display that column, and uncheck a box to remove that column. Column settings are not saved and will revert back to default after leaving the report or clicking to a different tab in the GPS Units report.
The available columns are:
- Asset: If the GPS unit is assigned to an asset, the associated asset will be listed. Clicking on the info icon will display the associated asset information.
- GPS ID: The serial number of the GPS unit.
- Device Type: The GPS device type such as V3, V4, or ZTrak.
- Last Phone Home: The date and time the GPS unit phoned home. A phone home includes the GPS unit’s status and a request for any updates sent to the unit. A phone home should occur regardless of the asset’s active or inactive status. The most recent phone home should be within the past four (4) hours. Equipment, asset, firmware, environmental, or cellular connectivity issues may prevent the GPS unit from phoning home. A GPS unit that stops phoning home could have one of several conditions:
- The asset may be in the shop or garage for maintenance.
- The asset may have a dead battery.
- The asset may be anywhere that causes GPS to not have a GSM cellular connection. GPS cannot send a phone home without GSM connection.
- The GPS unit may have a hardware malfunction.
- No constant power circuit (red wire: Constant Power or black wire: Ground).
- Last Position Date: The last date the GPS unit sent its position.
- Last Inspection Date: The date of the last inspection the GPS unit sent back to Ground Traffic Control. (GSM Only)
- Last Power Loss Event Date: The last time a V4 unit registered that the power was disconnected.
- Power Loss Event Count: The number of times the V4 unit registered a power disconnection in the time interval selected in Since Last Phone Home.
- Status: Indicates whether the asset the GPS unit is assigned to is Active or Inactive.
- Location: Indicates the assigned location of the asset the GPS unit is assigned to.
- GPS Firmware Version: The firmware version reported by the GPS unit.
- SCID: The ID of the SIM chip contained in the GPS unit.
- ECU VIN: The VIN as reported by the ECU to the GPS unit. May differ from the VIN located on the chassis.
- Monitored: GPS units with this box checked will be included in the results for the Missing Phone Home and Units With Power Loss tabs. Unchecking this box on one or more GPS units will omit them from the results in those tabs.
- CSV Export: Click one of these options to immediately export the report as a comma-separated values (CSV) file which can be opened in Excel.
- Click to generate a file containing the data in the currently displayed columns only.
- Click to generate a file containing all available columns, including asset information if the GPS unit is assigned to an asset.
- Pages: If there are more results than the Display Count (configurable in User Settings), the results are broken into multiple pages. If you know the specific page of results you want to navigate to, you can type the number into the center text field and press Enter. Otherwise, the following controls are available:
- Go to the next page.
- Go to the last page.
- Go to the previous page.
- Go to the first page.
- Save Monitoring Status Changes: Click to save any changes made to the Monitoring status checkboxes.